- 1 Best Air Purifiers for Mold
- 2 Air Purifier for Mold Buying Guide
- 3 Things to Consider When Buying Air Purifier for Mold
- 4 Air Purifier Mold Facts
- 5 Tips on Mold Cleanup
- 6 Controlling Mold Growth Inside Your Home
- 7 What Does It Take to Remove Mold?
- 8 How to Check for Mold in the Air?
- 9 Types of Mold in the House
- 10 What is Black Mold?
- 11 How Do Air Purifiers Help with Mold?
- 12 Mold Prevention Tips with Air Purifiers
- 13 Bottom Line
Mold and mildew are among the major contributors to asthma problems, poor health, and allergy symptoms. This is the main reason why people who are worried about the possible consequences of being exposed to mold for a long period are in search of the right air purifier for mold that they can install into their homes.
In this case, you may want to choose air purifiers that feature HEPA filters. It is because they are usually more effective in getting rid of airborne spores, like mold. It is also much better to have an air purifier with antimicrobial treatment for its filter.
It can increase the level of protection it can provide from mold growth, especially if you are always in damp environments, particularly those with high humidity.
Best Air Purifiers for Mold
Alen BreatheSmart Classic Air Purifier
This air purifier boasts of its sophisticated and aesthetic design, making it perfect not only for household use but also for modern offices. One great advantage of this product is that it lets you use any of its HEPA-grade filters. You can pick the HEPA-silver, which makes this item famous in offices.
It is because this filter is specially created to deal with allergens, such as dust and mold. Another great advantage of the Alen BreatheSmart is that it is highly functional and efficient that you can use it in even large rooms. It also works well in offices with open plans.
This air purifying system also features a laser smart sensor capable of detecting harmful airborne particles immediately. You will also love the indicator light, which can show the air quality within a room in real-time.
Furthermore, it takes pride in its auto-mode feature, which allows it to adjust the speed of its four fans automatically. It does so based on the current indoor environment. However, this unit is slightly large, so it may not be compatible with small spaces and bedrooms.
- Allows the use of HEPA-silver filters that work perfectly for mold
- Can handle even large rooms
- Can be used in offices
- Can detect harmful airborne particles right away, thanks to its laser smart sensor
- Comes with four fans that the unit can adjust automatically
- Quite large and bulky
AeraMax 300 Air Purifier
You can also go for this specific air purifying system offered by AeraMax. One amazing thing about the AeraMax 300 is that it uses an air filtration system of top-notch quality. It is also reasonably priced while still having the quality that most prospective users are hoping for in the unit.
It utilizes the 4-stage air purification and cleaning system, which automatically purifies and detects the air quality indoors. With that, expect it to act immediately in case it senses pollutants, germs, and molds, among many other harmful airborne particles in the air.
The AeraMax 300 works well for large spaces and rooms, particularly those that are more than 300 square feet. The HEPA filtration system greatly benefits those suffering from allergies and asthma. It is because the system works in getting rid of almost one hundred percent of harmful airborne particles.
The filter also uses an antimicrobial treatment, thereby making your indoor air fully free from mildew, fungi, molds, and bacteria. It also utilizes a carbon filter to prevent foul odor from being produced. Furthermore, it is equipped with a special sensor, which helps regulate the fan speed all the time.
- Uses a 4-step filtration system, making it more effective
- Operates quietly
- Certified effective for those who have asthma and allergies
- Better room or area coverage, more than 300 square feet
- Features a special sensor for fan speed regulation
- Quite expensive
Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier
With the Smart True HEPA air purifier offered by Hathaspace, you have a better chance of purifying the air you are breathing in. This is a big help if you want to protect yourself and loved ones from air pollutants, like mold spores, pollen, dust mites, smoke, pet dander and hair, and VOCs or volatile organic compounds.
It even uses its amazing 5-in-1 filtration system. This system can catch even those particles that the human eye can’t see. It cleans up the air, allowing you to breathe even more easily.
Many also love this unit because it is lightweight at only around 12 lbs. With such weight, you can pick it up and move it from one room to another conveniently. It also features a small LED screen in front, which can clearly show the present air quality.
The screen also displays the current settings and features you are using. It also comes with a UV light sterilizer, which makes it even more effective in killing germs and molds. It is because of the UV light, which tends to target their DNA, thereby breaking them apart.
- The powerful and effective 5-in-1 filtration system
- Promotes a quiet operation
- Boasts of its sleek and lightweight structure
- Reasonably priced without compromising its air-purifying quality
- Up to 240 square feet coverage area
- The filters are slightly difficult to clean as they might still need to be exposed to the sun.
COLZER True HEPA Filter Air Purifier
This air purifier from COLZER also receives great reviews from the public because of its high level of efficiency and large area coverage. It suits large rooms and living rooms that require frequent air cleaning. The unit guarantees a more powerful air purification performance due to its dual-directional air inlet.
It also makes use of a filter screen capable of boosting the purification efficiency of the unit. You can also expect it to handle the polluted air in various environments. The unit also boasts of its accurate and sensitive laser sensor.
With this sensor around, the unit can immediately and accurately detect the exact number of impurities and harmful particles in the air. This allows it to reflect the level of air quality accurately.
Furthermore, it has an intelligent multi-function color display. This specific feature makes it possible for you to see the present operating status of the unit as well as other factors, like the humidity, temperature, and filter life.
- Highly efficient in cleaning up and purifying the air
- Boasts of a large coverage area
- Equipped with an accurate and sensitive laser sensor
- Easy to set up
- Guarantees quiet performance
- Requires more frequent replacements for the filter
LEVOIT Air Purifier
Another great choice, if you are searching for an air purifier that can handle molds, is the LEVOIT air purifier. It is mainly created to cover a large or huge area – a max of 538 square feet area to be more exact. This makes it suitable even for large offices and rooms.
Apart from mold spores, this unit from LEVOIT can also get rid of and filter more than 99 percent of airborne particles, including pollen, dust, odors, and smoke. The auto mode is impressive as it operates using a sensor to monitor the quality of air. It also automatically picks the optimal cleaning/fan speed.
This air purifier from LEVOIT is also easy to set up. It does not have complex features, making it a breeze to use. The set of controls also boasts of their simple designs with buttons that you can use for the power and to turn on or off the built-in LED nightlight.
Another convenient feature is the indicator light designed to let users know when the filter already requires replacement. It is compact and lightweight, so you can rest assured knowing that carrying and moving it around your house is not that hard.
- Operates using a true HEPA filter, making it truly effective in purifying and cleaning the air
- Compact and lightweight
- Easy to use and simple controls
- Comes with auto mode for constant monitoring of the air quality
- Easy to set up
- Somewhat noisy operation when setting it on high
Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
With the outstanding air performance of the Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier, it is surely a fantastic choice for those looking for a way to cleanse the air around their home or office. It uses the advanced Swedish filter technology known for capturing up to 99 percent of airborne particles and pollutants. These include mold, dust, pollen, bacteria, pet dander, and viruses, among many others.
Another nice thing about this unit is that even if it can cover large rooms, it does not have the boxy, bulky, and unappealing designs of other air purifying systems. It is even compact and lightweight, which makes it easy to carry around.
The pre-filter is on the unit’s exterior and available in multiple colors. This gives you the chance to pick from pink, grey, black, yellow, and blue. The good thing about this design is that it lets you see right away every time the pre-filter already requires some cleaning.
It works by cleaning up the air in your home or office using its 3-stage filtration process. It also has the added benefits of being energy-efficient and boasting of a quiet operation regardless of the setting.
- Large coverage area
- Can remove up to 99 percent of airborne particles and pollutants
- Energy-efficient and low-maintenance
- Easy and quiet operation
- Compact and lightweight
- Does not come with some smart features, like a timer and air sensor
Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier
You can also go for this True HEPA Filter Air Purifier offered by Guardian Technologies. It is a 3-in-1 air purifying system, which works effectively for any living and working spaces. With its HEPA air filter, expect it to remove the mold spores, pet dander, pollen, dust, harmful germs, and any other air allergens around your space.
This unit also uses the activated charcoal filter, which is effective in lessening odor in the air. It can even minimize the unwanted smell coming from cooking fumes, pets, and smoke, among many others.
It is also customizable through the three-speed settings it has. Expect it to operate quietly, too, especially if you set the speed at the lowest. It can handle medium- to large-sized rooms.
This air purifier is also a good choice because it is affordable while still delivering a decent performance. The filters require less frequent replacements than the others, making the unit cost-effective. Moreover, it is Energy Star certified, which proves its energy-efficiency.
- Affordable while still boasting of its decent performance
- Operates quietly
- Effective in purifying and cleaning the air in medium to large rooms
- Uses an activated charcoal filter for a significant reduction of unwanted smell
- Not as sturdy as the others
Air Purifier for Mold Buying Guide
Do you want to get a hold of an air purifier, which genuinely does a good job of getting rid of mold and other airborne particles? Then it would be much better to make your choice after you have carefully scrutinized these specific features and qualities. These are crucial in wisely making your choice:
The filter is one of the most vital components of an air purifier. Note that you can’t expect the unit to work in cleaning and purifying the air without the filter around. As much as possible, go for one with a filtration system of at least two stages.
One great option is a model equipped with activated carbon and HEPA filters. It is because the two can get rid of not only mold spores but also unwanted odors from the air. You can also choose from various filtration levels, including those that can remove only dust and those that can get rid of even the tiniest pollutants in the air.
If possible, go for that filter, which can get rid of the tiniest particles. It is because your goal is to capture mold spores. These are very small so ensure that the filters can handle that task.
As mentioned earlier, you need a filtration system that can capture even the smallest particles. A true HEPA filter can do such a job. HEPA, which stands for High-Efficiency Particle Arresting, is a filtration system certified as the main technology that can remove more than 99 percent of airborne particles.
It is even the only filter, which gained certification in catching particles that are so small, around 0.3 microns. Among these are mold spores. The HEPA filter can improve the air quality indoors.
It helps in preventing flare-ups to anyone suffering from the symptoms of asthma and allergies. Aside from mold spores, it can also remove pollen, bacteria, smoke, and dust.
Speed and Levels
The speed is an important factor in your buying decision because both play a major role in giving you full control over the rate and level of air circulation. Note that you need to control air circulation as it contributes to the growth of pollutants in the air. For example, molds tend to grow at a faster rate during humid and cold weather.
This makes it necessary to set up the fan at a high level so you can maximize the air purifier’s cleaning ability. When the weather is warm, you can set the speed and level at low then allow ventilation by opening the windows.
You can also choose those air purifiers with smart sensors. These sensors can evaluate air quality. They can also do the necessary changes based on the level of mold pollution that was detected in the air.
Check the automation and monitoring features of the air purifier, too. If your budget allows it, go for a model with automated features. One of these features is the smart sensor, which helps the device assess the air quality and make some changes accordingly.
It adjusts the fan speed automatically based on the level of pollution detected. You can also go for one with an automated timer as it lets you set it to turn off or operate at specific times. With these automated features, your air purifier will surely become even more convenient, precise, and easy to use.
The noise emitted by the air purifier is also one of the things you have to assess before buying. Note that these devices need to work for a prolonged period. They always run, especially if your home is prone to mold growth and airborne particle buildup.
With its long-running time, make sure that it is quiet enough that you and your family can live with it. Check the number of decibels a specific unit operates at. You may be able to find this info on the package.
In some cases, the package indicates the noise level when the unit is set at a low speed and high speed. Also, consider where you intend to install your chosen air purifier. If it is in the office, then you wouldn’t mind too much if you go for a noisier one but make sure that you choose the quietest one you can find if you plan to put it in your bedroom.
Check the UV lights integrated into the air purifier, too. It is because apart from the filter, the UV light also has a say on how efficient the unit is cleaning your air. This kind of light is even used as a water purifier sometimes because of its effectiveness in eliminating mold and bacteria.
This light functions simple. What it does is that it shines a light to the sucked and trapped airborne particles, neutralizing and killing most of them. Among those it can kill through direct contact are allergens, mold spores, and bacteria.
You can see these UV lights being fitted into the purifier. The good news is that it is safe as the light it releases does not spread all over your room.
Things to Consider When Buying Air Purifier for Mold
Your goal for investing in an air purifier is to keep your air clean and free from harmful allergens, like mold spores. This means that your health and safety, as well as that of your loved ones, are also at stake. With that, you also have to consider a couple more features that can contribute to the actual performance of the purifier.
Different types of advanced technology are used in building air purifiers just so they will function the way prospective users expected. However, you can expect some of them to produce more favorable results if you combine them and let them work together.
For instance, it would be much better to combine silver ion technology, HEPA filtration, and UV light. HEPA, as mentioned earlier, can get rid of up to 99 percent airborne particles no matter how small they are. You can further improve the functionality of an air purifier with HEPA filtration by adding silver ion technology.
It is because this technology comes with antimicrobial properties that can further stop the growth of molds. Adding UV light to the unit is also a big help in ensuring that the HEPA filter and the surrounding surface remain safe and clean from the growth of mold spores.
This factor also refers to the unit’s coverage area or the specific amount of area where it can perform an efficient job of cleaning the air. You can expect your chosen air purifier to deliver optimal results if it functions within its coverage area or square footage. It will prevent the unit from getting overloaded.
If you are on a budget then it helps to consider the specific area size that the unit can handle. It is because the bigger its coverage area, the higher its cost. Also, ensure that you only install the air purifier at a room, which does not exceed its recommended coverage area.
It is because putting it in a room better than what is indicated can cause its performance to suffer. If you are not worried about going for a more expensive unit, then it is highly recommended to choose with a bigger coverage area. That way, you have a guarantee that it can do its job of cleaning the air in a space without any problem.
Before buying an air purifier, make sure that it is paired with a good warranty. Note that no matter how hard you try, mold will still invade your home or office. This means that your chosen unit will most likely be one of the appliances in your home that have to work extremely hard.
Because of its somewhat endless functions, spend time assessing the warranty of the air purifier before buying. Ensure that you are fully covered. The warranty should provide good coverage in case some parts of the units fail you.
Without a good warranty, you will be at risk of paying for costly repairs in the future just to make it run again.
Air Purifier Mold Facts
When shopping for the best air purifier for molds, it helps to learn more about it first. With the following facts about air purifiers that can deal with molds, you can better decide if investing in it is indeed the right decision.
- Air purifiers equipped with HEPA filters are usually the most effective in getting rid of airborne spores – They even received certification for that function. The HEPA filter works trapping the particles, causing them to die.
- The size of mold spores are around 1 to 30 microns – With the aid of highly reliable air purification systems, you can get rid of molds even those as tiny as .003 microns.
- The HEPA filter is a sterile and dry environment, which is the main reason why mold spores die once they are trapped inside.
- The UV light is not a necessity in spores’ removal – It is helpful but not a requirement. Also, note that UV also needs specific intensity and adequate contact time.
- A purifier featuring an antimicrobial filter is crucial in damp areas because it ensures that mold will not grow on the filter.
Tips on Mold Cleanup
How do you execute the mold cleanup process? If the whole process only involves minuscule amounts of mold then you can trust yourself to do it alone. You can get rid of mold from items considered as non-porous, like glass, tile, or metal without professional help.
All it takes is to use a borax cleaning solution. Just mix a gallon of hot water and a cup of borax then apply this solution to the non-porous area that has mold. Avoid applying it to porous materials, like drywall, though.
It is because these surfaces tend to absorb water with ease, thereby exacerbating the issue with mold through the buildup of moisture. To clean up porous materials, it would be best to seek the aid of a mold professional.
Also, if the mold issue is more on the larger scale then it might be necessary to follow the municipal or state regulations requiring you to seek the aid of a licensed mold remediation professional. You need such a professional contractor to guarantee the safe removal of this harmful airborne particle.
Controlling Mold Growth Inside Your Home
Apart from investing in a good air purifier, you can also do some things to ensure that mold does not grow at a fast rate inside your home. Here are just some of the simplest solutions for proper mold growth control:
- Keep moisture under control – Make sure that your home’s humidity level does not exceed 60%.
- Let wet materials dry quickly – If you don’t, mold will most likely grow within just a couple of days.
- Find specific areas in your home that are vulnerable to mold growth – Clean, dry, and disinfect their surfaces. In such a case, you can see the help of a vapor steam cleaner.
- Have any detected leaks repaired immediately – These include leaks in your home’s foundation, walls, and roof.
Only store household items when they are already thoroughly dry.
- Improve the flow of air inside your home – Make sure that confined spaces have much better ventilation. If possible, open more windows as this can help make your home well-ventilated.
What Does It Take to Remove Mold?
Mold spores and particles are too small that they can pass through your sinuses’ cilia and can be easily exhaled. This might cause them to get lodged in the tissues of your lungs. This makes it quite difficult for them to remove.
While it is impossible to remove the mold completely from your home, reducing it substantially is possible. To make all your efforts towards mold removal even more effective, it helps to be aware of the specific spaces and areas prone to it. Among these are old houses, tightly and newly constructed homes without proper airflow, and office buildings.
Also, take note that even if you already own the best air purifier for mold, the whole removal process is somewhat never-ending. You need to pair up the use of the unit with DIY efforts, like using household cleaners to clean up small and visible areas where mold seems to thrive. Make sure that all parts of your home are dry, too.
How to Check for Mold in the Air?
If you suspect that mold spores pollute the air quality inside your home and aggravate allergies then maybe it is time to check the air for the presence of this unwanted airborne particle. Doing this as soon as possible can help you determine if there are indeed mold issues in your household.
A mold test is helpful, in this case, because it can let you detect hidden molds. It also works in measuring the quality of air indoors and determine the specific mold species that are inside your home.
To check for mold in the air, you can look for some signs. One of these signs is a mold smell. Do you notice a somewhat moldy odor inside your home? If your answer is yes then molds could be hiding somewhere.
There is also a high chance that the air inside your home is polluted with mold spores if you suffer from allergic symptoms. Apart from the moldy smell, your body will also react to the presence of mold in the air through allergic reactions. Some of these are sore eyes, runny nose, and sneezing.
Types of Mold in the House
Mold is unavoidable but you can prevent them from invading your home in the first place if you are fully aware of its different kinds. The following are just some types of mold with serious health risks that might any home or office, whether old or new:
- Aspergillus – This common type of indoor mold can have minor damage to anyone who inhales it. It might also have severe reactions, like inflamed lungs, respiratory infections, and allergies.
- Alternaria – This is common both outdoors and indoors. It often invades damp areas, like dimly lit and dark spots outdoors and damp areas like your shower and ink. Among its effects on those who come in contact with it are allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- Chaetomium – This mold often penetrates drywall that experienced water damage. You can usually detect its presence if there is an old or musty smell in your home.
- Fusarium – This usually grows in wet and cold areas as well as those spaces with carpets and similar fabrics. Left unmanaged, fusarium can trigger allergic reactions, inflammation, and respiratory infections.
- Trichoderma – This is also one of those molds often found in damp areas. It usually grows in damp carpeting and wallpaper or any other similar surface. It can trigger allergic reactions and sinus infections, among many others.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold can be defined as a few mold species with black or dark green appearance. It is one of the most menacing types of mold that can invade your space. It is because it tends to release toxic mycotoxin spores.
If left unmanaged, black mold can trigger a wide range of issues, like pulmonary decay, skin irritation, neurological breakdown, and immune system degradation. There are even instances wherein it can lead to death.
Black molds often thrive in frequently moist and warm environments. Some examples of these areas are the kitchen, toilet, bathroom, basement, and shower. You might also see them growing and thriving on paper, dirt, or wood.
Expect their growth to double or triple if you are using an indoor humidifier or if the climate is humid. To prevent its speedy growth, it helps to invest in an air purifier with the highest quality. With such a device around, you can prevent black mold from thriving and causing harm to you and the people you are with.
How Do Air Purifiers Help with Mold?
With the aid of a high-quality air purifier with all the necessary features built-in, you can prevent any type of mold, like black mold, from invading your home and putting the health of yourself and that of your loved ones at risk. In most cases, these devices combat molds, especially their tendency to multiply, with the aid of the HEPA air filter, which is notable for being a powerful weapon.
This filter excels in trapping and killing microscopic and harmful air particles. Just make sure that your chosen unit uses at least a 2-stage filtration process. If possible, the HEPA filter should be paired up with an activated carbon filter.
With this combination, the air purifier can remove not only the mold spores in the air but also their unwanted smell. It is also advisable for the unit to come with a germicidal UV-C light, which is effective in stopping mold spore reproduction.
Mold Prevention Tips with Air Purifiers
To maximize the effects of air purifiers when it comes to mold prevention, it helps to apply the following tips:
- Clean and replace the filter – The filter should be cleaned regularly so it will continue to function the way it is supposed to. Cleaning or replacement is usually semi-annually or annually if you are using pleated filters. For carbon filters, it would be best to have them cleaned and replaced every 3 months or so.
- Position the unit accordingly – If you wish to invest in just one unit then install it in the specific room where you usually spend a lot of your time (ex. the bedroom). Note that some of these devices are bulky and heavy, so it would be best to have yours installed at the right spot.That way, you wouldn’t have to move it around all the time. It would also be best to invest in a couple of purifiers if you want multiple rooms in your home to have one.The air purifier should also be installed in a place where nothing blocks the airflow. For instance, you should install it away from the curtains.
- Let it run 24 hours a day – This can improve its effectiveness in cleaning up the air indoors and improving its quality. Make sure that all your windows and doors are closed when using the air purifier, too.
Mold is one of the major problems in households that you can’t void. Fortunately, you can now use an air purifier for mold that can help you beat its invasion. However, you can’t just pick any air purifier introduced to you.
You have to be resourceful and try to gather as much information as you can about all your possible options. Compare them so you can find one that can truly perform a great job in cleaning up the air you are breathing in.
Your goal is to find the best air purifier that can remove mold from your home and ensure that you and your family will start breathing in fresh and clean air from now on.